Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...

Subject: Re: [OM] Gary's lens test...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 16:01:17 +0800
Gary Reese wrote:

> How about contrast being more important than resolution at lower
> magnifications?  That is one theory I heard on another list.  Contax and
> Leica seem to favor contrast while the Japanese companies favor
> resolution or a balance of both.  The thinking of the German's is that
> typical prints will look better with contrast favored.
>
> Gary Reese
> Las Vegas, NV

Yes and it is very subjective, some like higher contrast/sharpness
lens and some prefer higher resolution with less contrast. I'm the one
that like medium high color saturation, medium low contrast and high
resolution.

But not all Japanese companies favor resolution to contrast, the
general consensus here is Nikon lenses are on the high contrast side.
Some of their lenses may be of very good in resolution (like the Nikon
55mm Macro you have mentioned) but generally they are just so so.

C.H.Ling