[OM] Gary's lens test... incl. 28-48 & Colorplan

Subject: [OM] Gary's lens test... incl. 28-48 & Colorplan
From: Erwin Voogt <evoogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:57:23 +0200
Hi,

Gary wrote:
> Real world picture taking is full of so many "external factors" that it is
a minor miracle everytime we get a keeper shot. MTF graphs > are so far
removed from the external factors that effect each and every one of our
shots that it amazes me so much attention is being > paid to them.

This is exactly what I meant to say with my comments.
Gary's tests learn us a lot.
However, we should be very, very carefull with judging lenses by their SQF
(or MTF) ratings. Comments like "the Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 is difficult to
focus" are, in my opinion, more valuable than "the 35-80/2.8 is better
because it has more A's in Gary's tests".
And then, we are taking about photography, mostly with an "artistic"
purpose. Professional photographers often use a filter to get the "scenic"
dark corners in their pictures. Why not use a single coated 50/1.4 to obtain
the same effect? ;-)  The Field Guide of National Geographic (and the
magazine itself) shows many examples of beautiful pictures which are
certainly not of the A or even B level.
About the 28-48 zoom. I will post the specs of my specimen this evening.
However, I would be suprised if a lens with such a short production run is
redesigned. Maybe this lens suffers from specific mechanical problems,
causing a decrease in the optical quality. It is a cheap S-zoom. I have
never noticed a huge distortion with this lens, but I didn't tested it on
distortion either. Actually, besides the 16 mm the Zuiko 35-80 mm F2.8 is
the most distorting lens I have seen until now...
About the Colorplan 90/2.5. The grain of kodachrome 25 is easily visible
with this lens. So what's wrong with the resolution? However, it does matter
which type of screen you use. Many screens have a limited resolution (caused
by the texture of the screen), meaning you have to project very large to see
the grain of the film.
My 2c.

Bye,

Erwin Voogt