Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:31:49 -0600
> Recently my non Olympus was declared beyond repair by
> a local camera repair shop.
>
> Now this puts me in a quandry. My Olympus 2n is about
> the same vintage, and could easily have the same fate
> any day now.
>
> Should I continue to collect increasingly rare lenses
> and other accesories, or chuck it and get a new camera
> system where the parts will be available for the rest
> of my life (probably).
>
> Shall we have a vote on it?

Why did the shop say it was beyond repair?  Was it because the cost of
repair was greater than the value of the camera?  Or, was it because parts
weren't available?  Or, perhaps that particular shop doesn't "do" that
brand of camera and, therefore, doesn't stock parts (either new or
cannibalized)?

I've been told locally that repairs to my Olympus bodies couldn't be done
because of lack of parts.  Translated, that means that particular shop
doesn't stock parts and doesn't generally "do" Olympus work.  However,
there's LOTS of other shops that can fix Olympus stuff, our own John and
Clint for instance.  As well, there's K&S in Fresno, and Multi Camera &
Repair in Arcadia (both in California).  I'm sure there's plenty others too.

So, Don't take the "beyond repair" line at face value.  Ask around, get a
second opinion.

Just my humble opinion.  Others may have differing views.  Your mileage may
vary.  Yadda, yadda!

Regards,

Chris