Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story

Subject: Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 00:53:02 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 4 May 2001 ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My 'guess' would be that people knew it was a very bad idea to drink it, but
> may not have realized it also wasn't a good idea to handle it with bare skin
> or breathe the fumes.

Actually, drinking it, though definitely not recommended, isn't *that*
hazardous - you'll simply excrete it in a couple of days.  The nasty
things are the vapour (which can get into your bloodstream through your
lungs - lots of little mercury atoms are more readily dissolved than one
big blob, which is virtually insoluble, except in strong acid) and, er,
soluble salts.

Anyone who messed around with mercury intensifiers in their early
darkroom days should worry.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |