Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story

Subject: Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 07:38:44 +1000
I doubt that he used it for more than the surruptitious (sp?) shots he took
in meetings with the company representatives - the major photographs are of
too high a quality and I think he was mostly a Nikon user. He certainly
printed his own - see the Lustrum Press 'Darkroom' (Vol.1) for technique.
The book is difficult to read and the equipment used is extremely irrelevant.

"Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes - just sometimes -
one photograph or a group of them can lure our senses into awareness. Much
depends on the viewer; in some, photographs can summon enough emotion to be
a catalyst to thought. Someone, - or perhaps many - among us may be
influenced to heed reason, to find a way to right that which is wrong, and
meay even be inspired to the dedication needed to search for a cure to an
illness. the rest of us may perhaps feel a greater sense of understanding
and compassion for those whose lives are alien to our own. Photography is a
small voice. It is an important voice in my life but not the only one. I
believe in it. if it is well conceived, it sometimes works. That s why I -
and also Aileen - photograph in Minimata."
W. Eugene Smith (cover note - 'Minimata')

Get this book and read it - as a documentary record of an awful situation
you won't enjoy it, but it may never leave you.
AndrewF