Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story

Subject: Re: [OM] mercury batteries-OT story
From: "Oben Candemir" <dunya@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 18:07:17 +1000
Mercury as a poison has been known for ages. The story of the "Mad Hatter"
stems from the fact that hat makers would use mercury containing dyes in
their paints and touch the brushes to their tongues before applying them to
the hats leading to long term chronic poisoning.

The other case was a Japanese fishing village. I believe the name was
Minamata and the mercury spilling into the water system from industry got
into fish leading to mercury poisoning in the inhabitants who consumed the
fish.

The former was pre 1900 although may not have been recognised. The Minamata
thing was a major public health exercise and occurred in the 20th century
possibly around the 50's and 60's as far as I can remember although I wasn't
living back then ;)