Re: [OM] HELP: what should I take !?!?!

Subject: Re: [OM] HELP: what should I take !?!?!
From: frieder.faig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 01:29:27 +0200
On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 01:16:02AM -0400, Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx wrote:
> All right gang, I need your help.  I'm trying to put together my kit for a
> canoeing trip in only two weeks.

> Okay, so we will be canoeing from lake to lake and portaging between lakes
> when the water ends.  I've set route that will require pretty hard days, so
> it will be important to keep the weight to minimum.

Well, when I think about a minimum kit, I `m always thinking at a OM1 +40mm F/2
;-).

> On the other hand,
> canoes provide an opportunity to splurge on the gear side, at least more than
> backpacking.
Hmm, seem`s you do have enough time, strenght, insighfull partners and
opportunities
 for serious photographic work, well then, ...

> What I am trying to do now is ration the space in my LowePro Mini Trekker.
> Here is what I am planning on taking in the bag (these items will be pretty
> inaccessible while traveling during the day):

Hmm, I wouldn`t feel comfortable, when I wouldn`t know my beloved OM-equipment
in
a water prove place during canoeing. I´d go for a waterprove box.

> 300mm/4.5 mounted on 4T with MD1
> 90mm/2 macro
> 80mm/4 macro mounted on tele auto tube 65-116

IMHO is this double duty. The 90mm/2 + extension tubes should cover almost the
same
  0.5 to 1:1-ratio as the 80/4 + Auto-tube. I have no experience with this
lenses, but altough the 80/4 macro might be a tad better, my guess is that it
isn`t crucial.

> 1.4xA and 2xA stacked together
> T-28 Twin w/ T-power
> F280
> focusing rail, focusing stage and varimagni finder
> other lenses I am considering: 135mm/4.5 macro, 18mm/3.5, 24mm/2.8.  I can
> probably fit all the lenses listed without removing anything.
>
> Here is what I am taking as a snapshot camera for portage trails and other
> times when we are traveling:
> OM-2n with 35-70/3.5-4.5

What about a waterprotected Olympus stylus?

> I could also carry the 90mm/2 macro for close-ups on portage trails and have
> room for the 50-250mm/5.  Another option is to go with a 4T and have the F280
> flash handy for fill-in flash with bright sunlight during the day.  I was
> leaning toward the 2n because it is my most abused body and I wouldn't be too
> upset about if it took a dip; same goes for the 35-70mm/3.5-4.5

Well, at least fot the 2n is a dip the sure end of the live.

> I'm leaning toward two MD1s and 3 control packs, but could also take Winder
> 2s or an MD2.  What are your thoughts?

My thoughts? - I`ve read in an (OM-) Photo-book the advice: For better
travel-results, take only half of the equipment you wanted, but double the
amount
of film you wanted to carry.
Hmm it is difficult to advice for another person though personal preference is
an importand factor. For example: I don`t even use my winder at all.

> As you can tell, I'm really into macro.  Flowers should be in full bloom, and

For macro I´ take either the auto-extension-tube and 80/F4 +135/F4.5 or
50/2 Macro + 90/2 Macro + 7,14,12-extension tubes. Well I like using the
135/F4.5,
but for traveling the fast F/2-lenses are more versatile, I´d prefer them and
take
extension tubes for 1:1 shoots.

> I'm hoping to catch moose, beavers and bald eagles (hence the 300mm).

This makes the 300mm and the converters really necessary. I´d also ad
your favorite wide angle((s)) and would fill the gap at 200m with either the
180mm
or one of the telezooms. Two OM-bodies, one flash, and a tripod + focusing
stage+ accessoriers,...

Well, what about reduce to the Max:
16/3.5 + 90/2+tubes+300/4.5+ converters. this would mean you`d have a clear
decission for
 each shot.

> Any comments are welcome, even if they are to tell me that I need to sell,
> sell, sell.
Well that`s not true, you`ll have to buy, buy, buy: Especially in the wide
area, your equipment
is missing the uncompareable, every equipment-decissions-ending,  21mm/F2.
 And the 200mm F/5 is also a lens every traveling OM-enthusiast must have.
 Besides real wildlife photographing starts with a real 400mm, ...
Do I have to continue :-? <g>

> I would also like some recommendations of film.  I have my favorites, but am
> always open to try something different.

Well, the best film is always the film you know best.

> Thanks,
you`re welcome,

Frieder Faig