Re: [OM] Shutterbug

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutterbug
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 07:06:22 EDT
Cc: rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rlw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Subscribed to Shutterbug after deciding it's not cost-effective to buy off
> the newsstand. Finally got my first issue just as the next issue was ready
> to come out. Haven't got my next issue yet, though the new one's been on the
> stands for a few days now. Is this common, or are they still working the
> bugs out of my subscription. I like to get 'em fresh to check for the used
> Oly equipment. Would jack my jaws to find out the newsstands regularly get
> them first.
>
> --Bob

Hi Bob.
First, I assume you're in the U.S. as I am. I also was a long time subscriber
for the same reason as you are- the want ads in the back first, the articles
second. When my buying slowed down, I got very bored with the magazine. They
run the same articles yearly. (BTW- I also sold stuff in those ads. The items
sold very quickly, but this was in the pre- eBay days).
Anyhow, the magazine may indeed show up on newsstands first, as I recall. You
got an "old" issue as your first issue because most send a new subscriber an
issue that already went out and they have a bunch laying around (over-run)
that they'll never sell, so this is a good way for them to re-coup some $$.
It certainly won't be like this for your subsequent issues.
Also- look at the subscription order forms printed right in the magazine. I
assume they still have a first-class ( in postal terms) subscription rate.
The normal subscription rate is say- $20/yr. The first class rate is like
$100/yr. Many people opt for this first class rate in order to get the
magazine ASAP and get a leg up on everyone else who's looking to buy thru the
classified ads. I don't mean to 'scare' you; all-in-all, you should do fine
with the regular rate, I certainly did OK, but it also depends on your local
postal service, of course.

Hope this helps,
George S.