Re: [OM] What is the world coming to?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is the world coming to?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:36:02 +0100
Further to comments about Jessops not being very good... thought I'd
share my experiences.  My OM-1's light meter stopped working so I took
it in to get them to repair it.  They sent it off, sent me an estimate,
I said OK, repair it, and six weeks later they said it was ready.
Unfortunately it still didn't work, and now had a large scratch on the
focussing screen.  I said have another go chaps, and in the meantime you
can lend me a camera because I'm going on holiday.  They tried to lend
me some kind of Canon thing but naturally I insisted on another OM-1.  I
got back from holiday to find a letter from Jessops saying the camera
could not be repaired due to 'severe impact damage'.  Went to save it
from total obliteration to find that as well as the scratch they put in
first time round it now had a large dent on the side.  I demanded a
replacement but they said that they hadn't done the damage.

I wrote the angriest letter of my life to their head office, demanding
an explanation, and a replacement camera.  Some weeks later a shiny new
OM-1n arrived, alone and with no apology, explanation or anything.

This was all at the New Oxford Street branch, so I would heartily
recommend that any of the UK list members avoid dealing with them.
Their staff have a somewhat misguided notion of customer service as
well.  Possibly other branches are better, but New Oxford Street is the
'flagship' store, so I'm not going to risk any others.

Gosh, I feel quite angry again now.  Must calm down - it's a nice day,
everything's OK!

Roger

Chris Barker wrote:

> John
>
> I have (almost) given up checking the windows of the 2 Jessopses
> (sp?) in Bedford for their lack of OM stuff and general lack of
> interest (sometimes anyway).  But last Saturday I visited London and
> visited the ones on Kingsway and on New Oxford Street (looking for a
> MF rangefinder though) and they are much more knowledgeable.  The
> latter has a decent stock of most things from what I could see.
>
> BTW, your disclaimers in 2 languages will tend to clog up the Digest.
>
> Chris
>
> >We have 2 Jessops in Bedford!
> >
> >The main one has a used OM40 body in the window with a label 'OM1 body #90'.
> >asked a salesman what was the reason and he said that there would have been
> >an
> >OM1 there recently and that's why the label was there. But the label and OM40
> >had been there 4 weeks previously to my certain knowledge with no sign of an
> >OM1!
> >
> >I asked him why their web-site had no prices on second hand stuff
> >and he didn't
> >know. He said you have to ring the branch. But I did get a used OM10 case
> >from
> >him for #5.
> >
> >And they charge #8.49 to D&P a 36 exposure B&W film!
> --

'I shall not dance with you, for three reasons:  First, because you are
drunk.  Second, because this is not a waltz but the national anthem of
Peru.  Third, because I am not in fact a pretty young lady in a red
dress
but the Cardinal Bishop of Lima'

  -- thirsty Foreign Secretary George Brown is rebuffed at a diplomatic
     reception, 1968