Re: [OM] What is the world coming to?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is the world coming to?
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:05:10 +0100
Sam Shiell wrote:

> ...Jessops are by far and away the largest camera retailer in UK,
> with one or
> more shops in just about every major town (and a number of smaller
> ones)....

and Keith Berry added

> I bought quite a few used OM items, OM-2n body, 35-70 Zuiko, etc.,
> from
> Cequip in Sutton Coldfield but since Jessops took them over last
> year I haven't seen a single OM thing there.

I think OM stuff generally is getting harder to find in the UK - just
look at the size of Ffordes list now compared with last year, for
example. I hope it's just a temporary hiccup.

Keith again
> Perhaps it goes to their Classica
> branch in London where the vintage gear is stocked - or anything
> that the general branch salesmen don't understand!

I doubt it. According to their website listings there isn't much Oly
at the "classic" shop. I think it's more likely that since they have
been putting searchable second hand listings on the website, us
Olyhounds have been tracking down all the good stuff and hoovering it
up.

Contrary to Sam's bad experience with Jessops, the staff in my local
branch are pretty good - knowledgeable, experienced and helpful
(unless they are obviously new of course). This seems not to be true
of all branches - I have twice tried to get Edinburgh to send down an
auto 14mm ext tube, and both times they have sent down a manual one.
Looking at the label, Jessops paid more than they will be able to sell
it for unless they can find a punter who doesn't know the score!

They do seem to turn over staff quite fast. They don't pay well as far
as I can see - retail in the UK is notoriously badly paid anyway - so
people who are not career-minded won't stay long.

John