Re: [OM] Collector guides

Subject: Re: [OM] Collector guides
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1959 01:23:56 +1000
If you guys want to get serious about this you have to consider a
professional approach. The 'co-operative effort - any volunteers' approach
is fine if you want to put out something like a club newsletter but if you
want a nice glossy, book with pretty pictures you may need to follow a
definite track -

1. A commissioning editor - preferable someone with publishing experience
who will then -
2. Find funding - a sponsor, publishing house, whoever to put up A LOT of
money to get the thing printed, assuming the text and pix are donated, and
then -
3. Appoint the most qualified people to contribute each section (whether
they are list members or not, and then -
4. Co-ordinate the actual writing and collection of the text and pix.
5. The commissioning editor should then commission a text editor to rewrite
the contributions as required to ensure a consistency of approach and style
and a designer to layout a consistent 'look.' And a translator for the
Japanese version.

This is a huge amount of work, very expensive and no-one is going to make a
cent except the publisher. Almost everyone will hate both editors and the
designer because thay will find flaws with the way their vision is
presented/adjusted. No-one will complete their contributions on time for a
myriad of very legitimate reasons. The commissioning editor will go slowly
mad.
This is why you need a professional publisher - this is what they get paid
for. Start by getting tacit approval from a publishing house and then give
them a few chapters to chew on. Sponsor? - Olympus may have enough residual
fondness for the system to fund it as a PR exercise but you'd have to be
VERY convincing.
AndrewF (who has been there!)(Well, sort of).