Re: [OM] IS-10 Question

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-10 Question
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:39:48 -0500
The propensity for the front lens group of the IS-10/IS-100 to jam due to mild
impact (crossed threads)
occurred only on the early models of the original cameras -- sometime during
production, Olympus began
using an improved design which was much less likely to jam in this manner.  All
subsequent models (IS-10
Super, IS-20, etc.) as well as later production IS-10/IS-100's used this
improved design.

On any original IS-10/IS-100 where the front lens group is askew and unable to
turn and focus, this
procedure ("squeezing" the barrel to realign the threads) is likely to work.
Be aware, though, that the
zoom barrels and internal "floating" element assemblies of _all_ the
double-digit IS-models are
relatively easy to damage (being plastic) -- posts break off and jump out of
their guide tracks (as John
H. mentioned).  This is a major repair, and not related to the simple problem
being discussed.