Re: [OM] IS-10 Question

Subject: Re: [OM] IS-10 Question
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:39:54 +0200
----- Original Message -----
From: <bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <Olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2001 1:08 AM
Subject: [OM] IS-10 Question

> I bring to the fount of all Oly knowledge a problem with an IS-10. A friend
> e-mailed me (since she knows I use Oly gear) about someone with a weird
> IS-10 problem. Told her I didn't know but would put it out to the group.
>
> Barry, I have a question re: Olym. cameras.  On the weekend ran into a a
> lady that told her story of buying an IS-10 from Kerrisdale cameras for
> $650.00....used it three times, then it would not focus....took it back to
> K. Cameras and they told her it would cost $360.00 to repair, and that it
> had something to do with the flash attachment.  She thought this a tad
> steep.....the camera had taken excellent pictures with and without the
> flash....she has not dropped it banged it etc.
>
> Is this a common problem with the IS-10's?? How long is Oly's warranty on
> new product (I am assuming that this is a new camera)? Is it something that
> can be repaired at a "regular" repair facility?
>
> Thanks for the help
> Barry H

Barry, it seems the iS-10 is not quite of the same quality as the rest of the
iS series. It was the
first model in the simple line, and IIRC there have been several listmembers
earlier that had simlar
focus problems with these (I have even seen a used iS-10 for sale here in
Sweden with an AF that
didn't work).

The quoted price of $650 (USD?) sounds incredibly expensive. One shouldn't pay
more than maybe $ 180
for a used iS-10, but I would stay out of these. The later models are improved
in many ways, not
least in quality, AF speed, noise and flash power. Why the camera couldn't be
repaired using the
warranty I can't imagine. Surely you would have some kind of warranty also on a
used camera? I think
she should go back to the camera store and demand that they repair the camera
or otherwise she
should get her money back.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg