Re: [OM] Extra Question on ---===Oh, oh! I think I bought a fungus far

Subject: Re: [OM] Extra Question on ---===Oh, oh! I think I bought a fungus farm! :-((( ==----
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:07:39 -0600
At 09:22 PM 4/12/01 +0300, Babis Mavridis wrote:
Can I ask the list if you know...

[snip]

My question is:
If I keep/store this lens with my other very good and expensive lens if the
fungus is going to move to other lens of me ?...  Do you suggest to keep
this Len with my others ? or keep it far way.

Babis:

Fungal spores (too small to be seen with the naked eye) are *everywhere* all the time. While a local colony of fungus may produce more spores within short distances, in essence the air we breathe is constantly permeated with spores, fluctuating mostly with the seasons. Your other lenses have undoubtedly been exposed to them.

Spores require several things to "bloom": low light levels, cool temperatures, and humidity. Relative humidity levels should be kept below 40%, since that seems to be a "magic threshold" above which spore growth is encouraged.

I keep my other lens inside a very good place that for more than 10 years I
have no fungus problems (with other very old lens and cameras). Also I have
notice that the fungus is appear when a store/box is not get any air at
all - it's seals very very good.

Like I said, spores are everywhere. If the box is sealed with spores inside it, all they need is darkness, cool temperatures and high relative humidity. And time, of course. And then you've got fungus. :-/

Garth