Re: Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:18:52 +0200 (CEST)
Hej Bernd,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Bernd Moeller wrote:

> Hej Thomas,
>
> > However for concert-photos....I dunno what kind of concerts you go to, but
> > if you want pictures of the stage, and you cannot be just up front, you're
> > probably better off with a longer focal length.
>
> Normally I shoot at small local venues (you probably know
> Studenterhuset and Tusindfryd in Aalborg)

"know of" is the term here. I am afraid I have never been there (gee, now
I feel old...), so I don't know how the places are set up. However I do
know that Aalborg (for those uninitiated, a small town in the northern
part of Denmark - no, there are no polar bears there, although it's often
cold and always rainy) do not have huge concert scenes, so....

> where I get so close to the
> stage that even my 50/1.4 is sufficient to get good frames.

Ahh, wow - they've gotta be small, then ;)

> It's less
> easy to get close to the stage at bigger venues, but there I normally
> have an arrangement with the venue staff or even the record company.

Let me guess: that would be (in Aalborg) "Skråen" or some such
organization?

> The 85/2 however will give me enough focal length to shoot faces or to
> work with depth of field.

That is true. And still, the lens is fast enough. It does, btw., do well
even fully open (imho).

--thomas

Ps: Bernd, are you the guy from I4 ?

> Regards