Re: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?

Subject: Re: [OM] 85/2: a good buy?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:01:01 -0700
Bernd asks:

<< I stumbled across a 85/2 on an auction. Price at this moment is about
$100. As far as I can see is the serial number 10x.xxx. Is this a SC or
MC lens? I have checked Gary's lens test results, which give quite
different results for SC'ed and MC'ed lenses. >>

It's the 6 element in 4 group "SC" without floating elements.  Equal to
my own lens with the following identifier on the lens test page:

"OM-4T with mirror and aperture prefire; same 7 condition lens as above,
early 6 element version"

Of course, mine has been through a war.  Having a 90mm f/2, mine simply
serves as a poster child for the effects of fungus removal.

There is probably too much lack of knowledge on the part of buyers to
result in meaningful price differences between the versions of this
lens. Likewise a lack of knowledge by sellers to fully identify these,
which would aid in appraising them. The one you are probably looking at
is in 9+ (KEH=Ex+) condition - not "Mint" as claimed. Most would agree
it should have said "Minty." (KEH would never assign a LN- to this. Who
ever got a LN- lens from KEH that showed wear? Which is why I go one
step down. YMMV.). A 9+ SC comparable recently sold for $280.  There
have been many examples of SC's selling for more than MC's, for the same
condition grade.  Go figure.

Knowing that the seller has been a OM List subscriber, I do applaud the
full disclose pictures. Also, my statement on knowledge levels of buyers
and sellers regarding the 85mm f/2 isn't directed at ANYONE personally.
It is just one of those little known areas of Zuikology. Anyone ready
for multicoating technique/color variations in this lens?  :-)

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV