Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:03:04 -0400
Hi Tom,

I learned a lot about soldering while sweating copper pipe for my dad and late while soldering slot car frames together, but I'm not sure exactly what problem you are having. Is the tab not tinning, or is the wire not staying attached after it and the soldier cools down? If you are having touble getting the tab to tin, try wiping a hot soldier drop with a dry cotton cloth. that often works.

If the wire comes off after the soldier cools, it wasn't soldiered at a high enough temperature. The heat was drawn out of it too fast. I used to have that problem with heavy brass frames, until I started laying them across my grandmother's gas stove and reducing the heat slowly after soldering a joint. You shouldn't have that problem!

I wish you success.

Gregg

Tom wrote:

The tabs on the batteries will NOT solder.  No matter what.  No way. No how.

What am I doing wrong?  I'm clueless at this; haven't soldered in 25 years.
Wasn't much good then either.

I'm hesitant to heat up the tabs too much, for fear of damaging the
batteries (which I might have already done).  I'm trying to solder together
the batteries in the wierd 5/6/1 pattern that is required and the solder
joint keeps breaking...and breaking...and breaking.