Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, I know I am inept, but.....
From: davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (David Thatcher)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:11:32 +0930 (CST)
Tom,

is the solder blobbing or is it spreading out?

if it's blobbing, it's unlikely the tab is hot enough.  apply the iron
& the smallest touch of solder to form a heat bridge, then heat the tab
for at least 5 seconds or so before adding any more solder. if it's hot
enough but blobbing in a pool of rosin flux the plating may be the
problem (scraping the tip of the iron lightly on the area at this point
may help).

if it's spreading to cover the tab surface, but peels apart easily,
it's likely the plating is the problem, lightly scratch through the tab
plating with a fine file (on one side of one tab only initially to test
as it's possible the metal underneath is even LESS solderable!!) then
try again.

if you are worried about boiling the innards of the cells, if you can
clamp a pair of pliers to the tab between the soldering point & the
body joint  to draw the the heat away, it will give you a little more
time.

remember- rosin cored solder only... (bakers fluid or killed spirits
(hydrocloric acid & zinc) tends to go everywhere including the narrow
joint between the tab & the cell)

also don't pull the tab away from the cell too close to the weld, you
can open the cell at the spot (been there, done that!!)

Good Luck!!

DavidT
Adelaide
South Australia