Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:46:34 +0100
Well, we're all clearly much more interested in the vagaries of language
than cameras and photography and all that rubbish, aren't we?

Andrew Fildes wrote:

> I suggest we start using the terms Olympus and Zuiko as verbs. Any offers
> as to precise meanings?
> AndrewF

Don't know what 'to Olympus' might mean, but I rather like the sound of
'Man, I was so zuiked on Friday night'.

ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >But talking of pronunciation, and retaining a little bit of Olympus
> >relevance, can anyone tell me how to pronounce 'bokeh'?
>
> "bo" as in boat and "ke" as in kettle. As in the Japanese: bo-ke.

Righto.  I'll try and say it properly, but I must say I think it's more
likely I'll pronounce it 'bocky' - a crude anglicisation of a foreign
word is what I like to see, along the lines of 'la cucaracha' ->
'cockroach'.

Roger