Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 20:07:02 +0200
John

Aceptablility is for the reader or listener as far I am concerned.

A language that lives and changes is one thing, but one that is
corrupted and which loses its richness solely because we (in
whichever country) do not educate our young citizens properly on what
is accepted *now* is to me an ugly thing.

I don't believe that we could do anything but accept Hemingway's
artistry as a rich and attractive way to change our language.   I
would not resent or resist change from such a quarter.

Chris

verb.  That's still the way I use it.  The same thing has happened with
other words, through usage.  And then there's the matter of past tense and
past participles regularization:  the past participle of "light" used to be
"lit."  Now, because of the tendancy to regularize verb endings--which has
been going on for centuries--"lighted" has become more and more common as
the past participle during my lifetime.  I wonder if this all started with
Hemingway's "A Clean, Well Lighted Place."