RE: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.

Subject: RE: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.
From: "Welliver, H William \(Fairchild\)" <hwellive@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 22:02:36 -0400
 That's completely out of control! I love olympus equipment as much as the next
person, but self restraint can be a real virtue when it comes to overburdening
someone's gracious donation of bandwidth.

I can probably *donate* 30 to 40 MB a day to the cause, but beyond that, the
bandwidth isn't free. I think the eSIF is a wonderful service, and would hate to
see it disappear forever. There are a few suggestions I might make to try to cut
down on the amount of bandwidth used:

1. Distribute the content. Companies like idisk (i think) let people use so much
space for free to share files. That might be a possibility.

2. Restrict access in some way. Either limit the amount of data a user can
download or maybe restrict access to those users that donate some cash for
bandwidth or something like that.

3. Take advantage of worldwide caching systems like Akamai. There is a way to
get Akamai to cache content of websites without having to pay them for service.
I don't recommend this, as they may catch on and drop a hammer on that, but it's
always an option.

As I mentioned before, I'm willing to help out in any way I can, up to and
including throwing some money at the situation. As always, comments and feedback
are welcome.

Best regards,

Bill