Re: [OM] Goodbye

Subject: Re: [OM] Goodbye
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:37:56 -0500
Skip, noooo!  You are right about the medium of email.  But it's also true
that it's really hard to communicate when all you have is the written word.
It's so easily misunderstood.  All the communication devices we use in oral
communication--body language, vocal inflection, etc.--are not available to
the writer.  I  thought I'd learned that as a an English teacher.  Then,
four years after I retired, I nearly lost any relationship with my niece
because of an email.  She read something into it that I had never intended.
I must have been unconscious when the posts you're referring to showed up,
but it sounds like some readers simply misread you.  That's not your fault
or theirs; it just happens.  Please reconsider.
John Pendley