Re: [OM] What would you get?

Subject: Re: [OM] What would you get?
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 08:40:16 -0800
See in line below:

Roger Key wrote:

> Tamron 60-300/f3.8-5.4         870grams  166mm long     66mm diameter  macro
> ratio 1:1.5, min focus 0.34 meters
> Zuiko 300/f4.5           1020grams 181mm long      80mm diameter  no macro,
> min.focus 3.5 meters
> Zuiko 85-250              890grams 196mm long      70mm diameter  no macro,
> min.focus 2.0 meters
>
> Typical price for a good used 60-300 Tamron on eBay: $130-$150. And note the
> macro capabilities......

Thanks for the info on the Tamaron. (I'd found the info on the zuikos
but couldn't compare it to anything) It looks like the smallest of the
three but also the slowest at the long end and pretty slow at the short
end too.  And I was wondering about those macro capabilities. Better
start a new thread about that though.

From: Jim Couch

> I would highly recommend the Zuiko 300 f4.5, but it does depend what you
> want to do as well. The 300 is a wonderful lens, and performs well even
> wide open and is still compact enough that you might actually use it! :)
> the problem I would see with the 85-250 is that it really does not have all
> that much reach over the 200 that (it sounds like) you already have.

Jim, This was my thought exactly. The plus side of the 85-250 is that I
could unload the other lens to help finance this purchase. The 300
though is brighter and I'm leaning toward it at the moment. Maybe what I
should do is buy both the 85-250 _and_ the 300 and send my daughter to a
community college :>)

Mike