[OM] Importing OM gear into Australia

Subject: [OM] Importing OM gear into Australia
From: Dr Peter Gilbert <peterg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 02:06:43 +1000
Can't find the original post on this question - I remember seeing it a week or so back but didn't have a chance to reply . It's now buried somewhere deep in my OM mailbox!

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth here as I have had a fair bit of OM stuff sent into Australia from overseas (UK, NZ and USA mainly).

My main suggestions would be:

1. Send items via normal Air Mail. Australian Customs are much more likely to inspect and demand duty on FedEx or other "special courier delivery" type parcels.

2. If the goods contained are "used", make sure that the sender indicates this as such on the green customs declaration form.

3. If you are having more than $500 worth sent in one hit, consider having the seller send in two (or more as appropriate) separate parcels. The extra postage cost may be worth it if it saves you a hefty import duty fee. A couple of years back I bought (new) from NZ a T Power Control 1, T28 Macro Twin Flash, T8 ring flash and 38mm F2.8 macro. The people sending the goods were happy to send in multiple smaller packages and I didn't get charged any duty at all. I may not have been so lucky if they had been sent in one hit.

4. If you are importing something exotic and expensive that can't be split, there isn't much you can do except hope that customs are too busy and let it on through.......

I've never had a parcel go astray (so far!) and goods have always arrived in good condition.

Hope this is of help for whoever was concerned.

peter