Re [OM] "Glued" camera back of OM30[

Subject: Re [OM] "Glued" camera back of OM30[
From: john.oregan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:07:01 +0000

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Erwin wrote

Snip>>
Yesterday I bought at the "Houten camera fair" an OM30 for about $12. (And added
the in-focus-trigger-cord later on for $4.)
Of course, the camera was not in an excellent shape: 1 of the 5 batteries had to
be replaced (what a disappointment... ;-) ) and the camera back will not open
when the rewind lever is lifted. Probably the camera is not used for years and
the foam of the camera back turned into glue. What is the best method to solve
the foam and repair the camera back?
>>Snip

Hey Erwin

I noticed that you got very little on-list response on your OM30 query! Well,
I?m no expert, but the Repair FAQ site may prove useful ? I have no web access
at the moment so I cannot give you the URL but I?m sure regular listees will
point you at it.

I too bought a cheap OM30 recently - £40 including a 50/1.8, both in very good
condition. I was also able to get a Manual on Ebay.UK for £1. I have discovered
one fault ? my camera grossly overexposes if it is left cocked for any length of
time. It recovers after a frame or two ? but this has not been scientifically
established. I presume this is a case of the ?Sticky Magnet? Syndrome which does
have a FAQ page.

Can y?all recommend a solvent for this purpose? Methylated Spirits, Surgical
Spirit, White Spirit, Turpentine? Nail polish Remover? Can one buy Carbon
Tetrachloride over the counter in UK?

JohnO?

Sorry about the bilingual bits after this ? no control.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are intended solely for
the addressees and are confidential.  If you receive this message in error,
please delete it and immediately notify the sender.

Any use not in accord with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.

The internet can not guarantee the integrity of this message.  BNP PARIBAS
(and its subsidiaries) shall (will) not therefore be liable for the message
if modified.

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires et sont confidentiels.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci de le detruire et d'en avertir
immediatement l'expediteur.

Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute
diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf
autorisation expresse.

L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, BNP
PARIBAS (et ses filiales) decline(nt) toute responsabilite au titre de ce