Sv: [OM] OM-2n at EI 1600??

Subject: Sv: [OM] OM-2n at EI 1600??
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:38:27 +0100
Hi,

When I shot my concert pictures with my OM2 (http://vendelbogade5.homepage.dk)
I often managed to shoot with 800 ASA and the 50/1.4 - at full aperture and
1/60. But I found that spot-metering actually gave me better exposures in
difficult light conditions. Thats why I bought an OM4Ti recently.

Concert photography requires routine. There is one venue with constant light
conditions where I just can set the camera to manual exposure (1/60 at 2.0 or
2.8) and it always works. Using negative film gives you enough colour depth to
compensate for exposure errors when scanning and processing the images in
PhotoShop. To learn that it took me around five concerts.

On the other hand my pictures often haveto be "over-processed", i.e. adjusting
curves, colour ranges and histograms several times. The result are quite
artificial images, but I could call that "handwriting" - the photographer's
influence on the finished product. I never expect natural pictures when taking
shots in so poor light conditions.

When you know the venue and staff, you often can ask the light engineers to
improve the lighting for photography purposes. Kindly ask for more front light,
more red lights then blue (film is more sensitive to red light, I think), and
better direction of spots. Keep in mind that these guys do their job, they are
often stressed just before the concert. Give them the impression that you
admire their knowledge and craftsmenship. Tell them that they did a good job
right after the concert. Give them a beer...;-)

Using a grey card is another promising method, but I have never tried it so
far.

Regards

Bernd