Re: [OM] Film -- Slide Permanence

Subject: Re: [OM] Film -- Slide Permanence
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:44:12 EST
Bruce, to answer your last question first, there is no question that any of
the Kodachromes have the best archival properties. Slides I took 30 years ago
are still vibrant and show accurate colors. Other newsgroup musing show that
Kodachromes back in the 50's still hold their color (although their vision of
what accurate color was may have changed).

As to you second question I think you might think of rushing around and
committing everything to digital and CD before more fading occurs. I find
that the auto setting on any of the photo programs that I use are wonderful
in getting the original color back. As long as the colors fade
proportionately, a program that picks up auto white points based on each
color should bring a very good semblance to the original picture back. I use
the auto setting in Kai photo soap, which was a free program with my
Acerscan. It works far better than I can even despite many hours of work with
curves, contrast, saturation, gamma, etc. I restored some old Ektachromes
taken in the Mexican jungles in the 70's and they look fine, whereas before
they were totally washed out.

Please tell us what scanner, and photo program you are using.

Good luck

Warren