Re: [OM] Film -- Slide Permanence

Subject: Re: [OM] Film -- Slide Permanence
From: "Bruce Appelbaum" <brucea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:21:36 -0500
While not a direct answer to your question, I would like to raise the
subject of slide permanence.

I have a couple of thousand slides taken in my overseas travel, that have
been stored in Kodak carousels, in the boxes, in a cool and relatively dry
location (dehumidifier in the basement).  Most slides are about 10 years
old.  I used either Ektachrome 100 or the Agfa 100 equivalent.  As I
recently added a photo grade printer and film scanner to my collection of
high tech toys, I thought I would go through my slides and see about
printing some.  I'm very disappointed that the Agfachromes are badly faded,
with distinct magenta casts.  The Ektachromes seem to be unchanged, even
those over 20 years old.

I would be interested to hear of anybody else's experience, especially with
recommendations for chromes films that seem to be stable over long periods.

end

Regards

Bruce Appelbaum
Yorktown Heights, New York