Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:58:40 -0800
C.H.:

<< How can a camera shop have no idea on the original price of camera
equipment? >>

C.H., you are probably smarter about the Olympus OM System than most
store employees and owners anywhere in the world.

Maybe they were too cheap to buy an updated McBroom's. Maybe they go by
KEH and they couldn't find one listed so they went with the nearest
match. Maybe they had one or more not so smart employees (very common in
retail stores in the USA!) who can't identify models, or too young to
even know about the OM System. Maybe they followed the bosses auctioning
instructions to the letter, because he/she is too busy to properly over
see the Internet sales operation. Maybe they "winged it" on estimating
the value, using local demand as a guide. Maybe they got their margain
and that is all they care about.

Many, many USA retail stores threw out their old price guides and dealer
manuals years ago because the boss wanted the place to look tidy. I'm
not making that up because I've asked for them over and over again and
that is the #1 reason I hear for them not having anything. Those few
that still keep them on hand do so to identify used equipment.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV