Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 from eBay
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:09:17 -0400

Chip Stratton wrote:

> Only for experienced sellers, I would say. Lots of people are short-changing
> themselves with 'Buy it Now' prices that are well under market - simply
> because they don't know the market.

I'll agree with you here. Actually, in general ebay works best when you
take advantage of people that don't know the market. That's where you
get the best deals from and that's how you can sometimes sell stuff for
much more than what it's worth.

A good example is I bought a piece of computer equipment used for $600
(cdn). It was a great deal because it was a piece of networking
equipment that normally sold new for $2500. The person seemed pretty
knowledgeable in what it was so I figure either he didn't know the
market or needed to sell in a hurry. Anyways, I held onto it for a year
but wasn't using it much. I needed the money so I put it up on ebay. I
was able to sell it there for $1500 cdn, still a good price (since it
still sold for around $2500). But I ended up making $900 by holding onto
a piece of gear for a year, all because I took advantage of someone else
not really knowing the market.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx