Re: [OM] OM-2S

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:20:40 -0800
At 04:47 PM 2/15/01 +0100, Volkhart B wrote:

>I know how you must feel about it - in Aug 99, on the second-last day of a
>2-week motorcycle trip, my tank bag containing besides some other
>necessities (shaver, maps, toiletries...) my OM-2n, an XA, 3 lenses, a
>winder, flash, several exposed and unexposed films and some smaller
>accessories was stolen in Largs, Scotland, during a tank stop.
>All I could give the police (after returning home and looking it up) was the
>serial number of the 2n, for which I still had the sales receipt. I never
>heard from them again.
>As a consequence, I have inventoried my photo equipment and recorded all of
>it in a spreadsheet with a brief description and the serial number for each
>item. I don't know if it would do much good if anything similar should
>happen to me again, but at least I guess it might make selling the stuff a
>little riskier for the thief.

Keeping serial nos separate on a database is a good idea. In 1993 my OM-1
(bought new in '76) was stolen during an office breakin. After the pain of
loss I was able to provide the police with serial nos etc. The insurance
company was kind enough to replace with an OM-4 and 50/1.4. Nearly a year
later the police called to advise the camera and lens had been recovered in
a pawn shop some 1300 km from here. Since it now belonged to the insurance
company I was able to negotiate a repurchase from them (for about 1/2
market too!) and continue to use it to this day. Needless to say I sent a
note of thanks to the Police Dept who actually recovered the camera. The
police really did put it on a hot list and a constable did do his job
checking pawn shops.
Barry H