Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital incompatibilities w/OM System stuff)
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:46:57 -0500
If my students are any indication of the current thought, as soon as a beta version of anything comes out they have to get it and ignore the version that was, only moments before working fine. I believe they have been so brainwashed by marketing hype that they can no longer rationally see that an older system might be better for a given use than the newest gadget on the market.

Gregg

Garth responded:

>> Developing a product line
>> incompatible with prior generation accessories, which forces entire system
>> obsolesence, is basic MBA material.
>
>In that case, I don't give crap for MBA's. No offence, but teaching
>"Loosing customer loyality" doesn't seem to be that good of an idea. Let
>me explain below...

Well, as a guy with several degrees (one of which is an MBA), I just had to respond.

As for the more benign form of new product development, it's *inevitable* that eventually the technology alters to the point where incompatibilities arise between new and old technology, regardless of how much we strive to maintain compatibility. Oly isn't developing digital cameras because Oly's "evil"; they're developing digital cameras because customers are voting with their wallets, and the "traditionalists" (i.e., those of us who wish the OM System would continue on forever) keep buying used gear in the second-hand market, even though the new stuff from Oly is no more expensive than many of the "wunderbricks" from other manufacturers. Let's face it, photography as a hobby is actually quite expensive.