Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Olympus accessories/flash - anyone knows anything?
From: Andy Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 10:13:58 -0800
On Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:43:36 +0000, T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> If Olympus manufactured equipment, compatible with what they made in the
> past,

And thus limited by old technology/thought...

> then I am sure that many more from the list would be excited and
> jump in to buy.

The listmembers may not be representative of Oly's market.

> The lesson, I thought, from system-cameras was, that they
> allowed you to grow.

It allows for repeat sales and enforces Brand Loyalty.  To jump from one
system to another requires a major investment if you're going to replace all
your gear.

> However rendering the old system "obsolete" and requireing that I purchase
> all new (which even upgrading from Camedia 3030z to E10 does - the
> tele- wide- and macro-converters are different, possibly other things
> too)

But we're talking about moving from an admittedly high-end P&S up to a
pro-grade camera here.

> does two things:
>
>       1. makes me reluctant to upgrade to digital (I could buy -
>          actually I just did buy - a decent film-scanner...and still
>          have money left)

[This sounds snotty but that's not what I mean:] Congrats to you. I hope you
find negative scanning to be an easy process.  I, myself, have noticed that
scanning prints is an art form in itself, and not one that is easily mastered,
especially when the scanner is hooked up to your wife's computer and she keeps
wanting to kick you off...

For me, negatives get scratched, labs smeg up your film and say "Oops.",
prints come out looking really weird.  And you have to visit them or wait for
the postal service to move things around.  I'm an American and I want my
results Now!

>       2. makes it a more viable option for me to consider other brands,
>          N*kon and C*non both make decent digital equipment.
>
> Both of these things possibly attracts customers away from Olympus.

$5k for N*k*n and $3k for C*n*n just for the body and then you need to start
making the lens investments...

> > Bluntly stated, the bottom-line objective of every for-profit business is
> > to get as much of your money as possible from your pocket into its pocket.

Two schools of thought:
        * Sell once.
        * Repeat sales.

> Well, in that case Olympus are doing a very very bad job. In fact, the
> incompatibilities between the old OM-gear and the new digital line PLUS
> the incompatibilities between the different digital cameras makes it that
> more likely that the next camera we buy will be a C*non digital.

What makes you think that they won't end up pulling the same stunt on their
digital customers they did to all their loyal FD-lens/system customers [myself
included] that they did when they went to EOS?

Cheers
        Andy Beals
        38N 121W, give or take