[OM] Super Tele Stability [was] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?

Subject: [OM] Super Tele Stability [was] Quality issues on the 600mm tele?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 23:58:46 +0000
At 02:27 2/9/01, Ray Moth wrote:
John Lind wrote:

> Holding the camera down to the tripod this way works for the shorter
> telephotos.  However, with 600mm focal length combined with the size
> and mass of it, trying to do it that way caused quite a bit of image
> jiggling in the viewfinder.

Nevetheless, Olympus recommends the hand-holding method (with tripod,
of course) for the 600mm and other super-teles.

I wouldn't claim this is wrong or ineffective for everyone. It was for me and resulted in trying to work out a different method. It might work for someone else with their tripod and head, and how they hold it. If it does, then that's what they should do! I have done it at 300mm and shorter using the tripod mount on the lens with more than acceptable results.

Gary Reese mentioned using Bogen's other long lens mount with the lens cradle . . . I'll have to look at one next time I'm in the Big City.

-- John