Re: [OM] .....Melbourne.....

Subject: Re: [OM] .....Melbourne.....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:05:48 +1100
>If you have a few days the trip through the Yarra  Valley to Healesville is
>great.  If you go to Healsville Sanctuary don?t miss the Birds of Prey
>flights.  A wedge tailed eagle flying just over your head is awesome.  I think
>the times are 11:00 am  and 3:00pm but check at the entrance if you go.  Also
>note at the back of the ampitheatre are some patches of green carpet where the
>birds are taught to land.  If you want good photo?s stand or sit to the side
>of those.

Second this but I found the second row, slightly off-centre with a 300/4.5
and monopod was better (eagle portrait coming up!) 11am, 1pm, 3pm. LOVE my
300 even if it is a lowly SC (c.$220 US with mount and caps).

>Peter?s suggestion of the great ocean road is good.  It is a truly great
>drive.  As the Mornington Penisular.

Wilson's Promontory - best National Park around for serious walking or mere
sightseeing. Phillip Island - Koalas and Penguins - VERY popular and
rightly so.  My cousin claims that the Great Ocean Road and the Virginia
Blue Ridge Parkway (?) are the two best stretches of road in the world. One
of the reasons he settled here (biker!)
Andrew