Re: [OM] wide angle lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle lens
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 19:37:49 +0000
Ben,

The proper focal length for general scenics is whatever pops your lens cap and makes the image you want.

While something between 24mm and 35mm is the traditional short lens for scenics (28mm falls in the middle of it), don't overlook or underestimate the powerful scenic and landscape images that can be had using a telephoto. I've done them as short as 18mm and as long as 200mm. IMHO perspective control should determine the focal length unless there are very compelling reasons otherwise.

The shorter the lens, the more challenging image management becomes. As the angle of view widens everything in it must support the subject, and the more likely something distracting or detracting becomes unavoidable. I wouldn't discourage you from going very wide, or super-wide. The perspective depth it renders can be dramatic, but it does take some care in making the image.

-- John