Re: [OM] wide angle lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide angle lens
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:01:59 +0000 (UTC)
Hiya,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001, Chris O'Neill wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2001, at 14:28, ASHTON B.R. (179806) wrote:
>
> > I have a Birthday comming up and

Congratulations. I expect that you will pass around a *virtual*
birthday-cake at some point ;)

> for it I'd like a wide angled lens so I
> > was hoping you'd be able to recommend a nice size for general scenic
> > photos.
>
> If you're on a budget, get yourself the 28/2.8 wide angle.  Nice field of
> view, darned nice contrast and resolution.  Runs 'bout US$100 or so.
>
> If you've got more money to spend, I recommend the 24/2.8 wide angle.
> A bit "fussier" about perspective (lining things ups so that vertical lines
> remain perpendicular), but has *great* perspective and field of view and
> darned nice contrast and resolution.
>
> [Side Note:  The 24/2.8 has become my "first choice" for a wide angle,
> and my 28/2.8 now doesn't get much use.]
>
> If you've got money to burn, there's the "faster" wide angles...  28/2,
> 24/2, or 21/2...  but I can't comment on those cuz I don't have money to
> burn.  :-((((

I cannot comment on the "slower" lenses, but I do own the 24/2 - and it is
a wonderfull lens. Before that, I had the Sigma 21-35/3.5-4.5 (I
think...I'm at work, the lens is safely at home). Now, without all the
regular bitching about zooms and sigma-vs-Zuiko, I can truely say that I
appreciate the 24/2. The much brighter viewfinder alone was worth all to
me - and the fact that I can get an OK picture wide open isn't bad
either. Of course, I can only compare the 24/2 with the aforementioned
sigma - I never had other wide-angles, but I truely do love this one.

If you can put out the cash for it, I'd not hessitate to reccomend the
24/2.

--thomas

> Hope that helps...
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> ---
> I'm *not* a Zuikoholic....  I'm a Zuikohobbiest!
> Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill

Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen