[OM] FW: Agfa Snapscan

Subject: [OM] FW: Agfa Snapscan
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:11:11 +0100
Dear Jochen,

All pictures on my site http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html
<http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html>  are slides scanned
with the Snapscan 50e. Of course these pictures are of low resolution
(800x600) and suffer from jpeg compression. A good example is may be
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/thailand/lunch.html
<http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/thailand/lunch.html> , as this
pictures showns only a part (about 50%) of the original slide.
I did not encounter any mechanical problem so far and I used it a lot for
scanning slides, negatives, ordinary prints, books, etc. The resolution and
colour depth is very good (optical 2400x1200 DPI 42 bits) and this scanner
makes it also quite easy to scan large frame negatives and slides (this is
not possible with most real slide-scanners).
Drawbacks: the glass plate and top illumination source collect dust easily;
thick slide frames result in a somewhat lower quality.
My opinion remains that the Agfa Snapscan offers an excellent value for
money and personnally I would buy a (semi-)professional 4000+ DPI scanner or
the Snapscan. The 2700 DPI slide scanners like the Nikon Coolscan offer just
too much, or just too little in my opinion, are limited in their purpose and
are therefore less value for money.
Nowadays there are some more alternatives in the price category of the
Snapscan, so may be it is a good idea to shop around.

I hope this helps you with your descision.

Best regards,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands.