Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:41:14 EST
angevine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< but  are there 3rd-party lenses available new or used that I should
consider
 instead?  I'd also like to have something in the 400/5.6 neighborhood,
 but the only possibilities there seem to be Tamron or Tokina 80-200/2.8
 zooms with a 2X TC (whose?).  I would definitely want a 500/8 reflex
 or maybe even the Sigma 600/8.  Any comments on these or other choices
 would be greatly appreciated.

You might consider Novoflex lenses with follow focus and shoulderpod
depending on model. These lenses are quite good for the money used (see Gary
Reese's website Tests) and are primarily intended for wildlife/sports
photography while handheld. The lenses are highly optimised for centre
resolution at the expense of edge resolution. The result is even older lenses
compete well with more modern lenses for birding use where corner performance
is not that important. They are preset lenses but since you usually want to
run wide open for speed of shutter this is not a big limitation. The squeeze
focus mechanism is a good alternative to autofocus but takes a bit of
practise to get used to. Downside they they are not available as super fast
lenses and even the best currently available (new) Leitz heads for it are not
that fast. Another advantage you can get adapters new for almost any camera
known. So you can share a lens between two or more different camera systems
as the adapters have there own bayonet system making swappping as easy as
swapping one OM lens with another. Contrast this with Tamaron adaptall mount
which is semi-permanently fixed. The focus mechanism can fit more than one
focal length head so allowing a range of lenses and keeping cost down a bit.
They often can focus very close depending on model and fittings since they
can be racked out like a macro bellows.
                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes