Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Philosophical / telephotical advice
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:29:16 -0500
At 4:51 PM -0700 1/30/01, Wayne Angevine wrote:

The philosophical side of the question is, is it really sensible to
use a manual SLR system which is now essentially unsupported for this
sort of shooting?  I much prefer the aesthetics of the OM system
(metal vs. plastic).

If you mean manual-focus, that's your call. How well the autofocus is
going to do in clutter and and distance, and how fast it's going to
do it, who knows? If you mean manual-exposure, of course the OM-2, 2s
and 4/4T have all the aperture priority and spot metering you might want.

A technical approach to the same question might be, is everything I
need available?  For example, what would you recommend in the 300 and
400 mm range for OM?  The Zuiko 300/4.5 would probably be fine, but
are there 3rd-party lenses available new or used that I should consider
instead?  I'd also like to have something in the 400/5.6 neighborhood,
but the only possibilities there seem to be Tamron or Tokina 80-200/2.8
zooms with a 2X TC (whose?).  I would definitely want a 500/8 reflex
or maybe even the Sigma 600/8.  Any comments on these or other choices
would be greatly appreciated.

Tamron makes a 2x TC that's matched to the 80-200/2.8 (it fits between
the lens and the adaptall mount). I've got one, and although I haven't
shot much with it, it appears to be very nice. (The lens itself is
pretty darn sweet as well, albeit a big honking only semiportable piece
of glass.)

paul

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx