Re: [OM] TO: Chris Baker

Subject: Re: [OM] TO: Chris Baker
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:05:45 +0100
Sam

Thanks for your off-list message.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to delete a message that you don't like until you've read it. The thread started as you say along an interesting line. Then for you to wander off into gory detail was difficult to predict. Are you suggesting perhaps that I should delete *anything* that you have written? In this case, you are right: I am interested in the cause of the accident, not in the details of how the crew acted before they went horrifyingly to their (then unavoidable) deaths.

I deal with deaths of friends or colleagues all the time (well perhaps once every 18 months) in my profession of military pilot. At no stage am I or my living colleagues interested in whether our friends were screaming milliseconds before they hit the ground. That is how I construed the line of your message. Of course, we are always interested in any of their actions that led to the accident - perhaps to see if there would be a way we would avoid that in the future... even our Boards in Inquiry in the Royal Air Force are not published in every detail.

Please forgive me if the the gory detail is not what you were relating. However, I cannot see what possible use to anyone it is to know that the girl on the flight had unstrapped and that the others had not panicked - as if your acquaintance would know anyhow. His story sounded like gossip or conjecture as you related it, and that is not for us on the List to have to judge in my opinion.

I am sorry that we disagree on this, but I shall not dwell on it further.

Best Wishes

Chris
--
~~~~~ ><>