RE: [OM] [OT] Space shuttle

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Space shuttle
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:12:00 -0700
The facts make this accident a tragedy in many ways. They had been having
leakage, on earlier launches, with the particular beeswax joint that failed.
The joint was not qualified at the low temperature at launch time. I think
the temperature was in the low 20s and the joint had been qualified at about
freezing. The engineer who was the technical rep for the contractor refused
to approve the launch and he was overridden by his company management and
NASA management. After the accident the engineer was the one most severely
punished and his career was completely destroyed. He later sued and won the
case but the lawyers probably got most of the money and his career was still
trashed. NASA management, as I recall, was declared totally innocent and the
contractor management really received no penalty other than bad public
relations. NASA did revise some procedures but the jerks who should have
gone to jail for their incompetence and disregard for human lives just went
on with their lives. They know whose fault it was and, even though the legal
system didn't get them, there has probably been a lot of internal suffering.
They certainly deserve it.  /jnm