[OM] Re: Off-brand and house-brand films (was: Clark Labs film)

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-brand and house-brand films (was: Clark Labs film)
From: Simon E <ruralwales@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:48:11 -0800 (PST)
Lex wrote:

>Polaroid (usually labeled "High Definition"): if the box says Made In Japan
>or Made In The Netherlands it's Fuji, probably Super HQ

Much more likely to be Konica, who make a lot of offbrand/own brand film. I
don't think Fuji make film for anyone else. "Made in Germany" = Agfa.

Someone mentioned Practical Photography film tests from last year. They also
tested 100asa slide & print films. In the slides Jessop and Tura cheapo stuff
was a twin for Agfa's consumer slide film. Fuji slide films had a definite
'family' resemblance. Kodak Elite II is oh-so like the E100 films (these
produce nicer skin tones than Fuji IMHO, though the outright winner on skin
tones must be Agfa RSX50/100).

In prints Royal Gold (twinned with the old PJ pro col. neg) was noticeably more
neutral and realistic than Kodak Gold & Fuji Superia hit-you-between-the-eyes
colours. Skin tones were a lot better too. Royal Gold is, to all intents,
Supra. I used to prefer Konica VX for prints (an underrated film family), but
now use Royal Gold, Superia 800 where required and sometimes Fuji NPS/NPH. Fuji
Reala is reckoned to be a superb film but I've not used it.

Simon E.