[OM] RE: E-10

Subject: [OM] RE: E-10
From: "Donald MacDonald" <Donald.MacDonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:31:56 -0000
CH replied:

<snip>
If you
want to see more, you can check:
<snip>

Nah, not interested at all. Just pointing it out for you didge freaks ;-)

Just that these guys (it is a forum for photojournalists) are the kind that
these tools are made for, IMHO.

Three main reasons I'm not interested:

1) I'm broke. And even when I'm not broke, that amount of cash is
unjustifiable. YMMV.

2) For me, taking photographs is a process, not an event. These tools are a
different process, it doesn't attract me. YMMV.

3) In the last resort they will prise my OM1n batteryless from my cold
hands, because I can snap away without power. Never had a situation where I
couldn't shoot because of lack of electricity, and I don't intend to start.
Hey, two days at the Shelter Stone in February, I'm nearly dead, never mind
a battery!!!

Maybe I'm not committed enough. I have a pretty full life. Learning
PhotoShop isn't in my top 1,000 things to do right now. I like making
photographs, but it's an adjunct to mountaineering, cycling, family life and
the wonder of existence. At the moment, I have lovely tools (OMs) that I
like to play with. I'll be posting my web site soon, but the photographs are
just an illustration of my interests. I've scanned maybe 200 slides and
about 50 negatives. Geez, it's hard work! Not one of them is anywhere near
the original. I've learned that some of my best projecting slides just won't
scan well.

But it's like mountain bikes. I can't get used to them, and I don't have
one. We roughstuffers have used bikes in the mountains since there were
bikes to use. By the time it gets rough enough to need fat tyres, suspension
and all that stuff, I'd be walking anyway. Better for the land.

By the time I get through my current dark tunnel, I may not be a librarian
any longer, but the philosophy of storage and retrieval is of deep interest
to me, and I think we are making big mistakes right now. I like to think I'm
change-driven and open to new ideas, have introduced ICT everywhere I've
worked, but there are some areas of life we need to look at a bit more
carefully before committing to a totally digital future.

BTW, I took a look at the photos, CH. Great, and I bet you're having fun,
right? ;-)

Donald. (Blowing a gale in Larbert just now; bikes are indoors...)