Re: Re: [OM] Film Test - Fuji SuperHG 1600 ASA

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Film Test - Fuji SuperHG 1600 ASA
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:09:01 -0700
> : Hmmmm!!!  I can't afford pro-processing.
>
> Maybe you should just ask how much pro-developing is. Just developing,
> not printing...

I haven't checked what the pro-labs charge for just processing because we
don't (Yet!) have a scanner that will to negs.  So, that's (Currently!) be
useless for us as we wouldn't be able to view the results.

Costco charges CDN$5.98 (US$4.00) for one-hour service including an index
card.  Two-day service (with index) is CDN$3.50 (US$2.33) or thereabouts.
We've done 'nuff there to be on very friendly terms with the techs, so it
appears to us that they take a little "extra care" with our stuff.  As
well, they'll redo something (like the shot of Cori's granddaughter) if
we're not happy...  something other
one-hour labs would probably grump about.

By comparison, McBain's Photo charges 'bout CDN$11.00 (US$7.33) or
thereabouts for two-day service, and London Drugs charges 'bout that much
for one-hour service, but gets *very* grumpy if you ask for something to be
redone.  (Garth: Jump in here if I'm way off on local prices...  it's been
awhile!)

> Not really, but the colour casts from the coloured spotlights are part of
> the atmosphere you're trying to catch...

I see your point.  If the color is "off" a little, the viewer will chalk it
up to the "ambiance" of the concert lighting.  But, not so with indoor
snapshots of family and friends...  that "jaundiced" look stands out like a
sore thumb!  :-)  Of course, if you've got a good neg scanner (we don't...
sigh!) and printer (we don't... sigh!) any imperfections can be corrected
digitally.

Gotta quit buying Oly/Zuiko stuff and start saving for the proper scanner
and printer!  In the meantime, I'm gonna buy s'more 1600 (and 800), and
play with pushing it.

(NOTE:  I *don't* buy Oly/Zuiko stuff because I'm addicted or *need* it!  I
just have to have a selection of the substances to display to non-addicts
in order to show them what to watch out for.  Sorta like the cops keeping
some narcotics handy to show school kids during crime prevention week!)

Again, thanks for the info and tips!

Regards,

Chris