Re: [OM] The 180 saga

Subject: Re: [OM] The 180 saga
From: Jim Couch <spknsprkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:49:55 -0800
Larry, just because you can't afford it, it does not mean that the price is
"stupid". While I certainly understand your desire to drive prices down so we
can
all afford more goodies, life just does not work that way. If the prices of Om
stuff go to low, there will be no selling of stuff by anyone as it will no
longer
be profitable, then we all loose. Some out of the way shops may well price
things
low, this is based solely on lack of ability to sell a given item and is in no
way indictive of a fair and honest market price. There will always be out of the
way 'deals' out there for those who can search them out, but they are few and
far
between. The pricing on this list is usually very fair and usually below current
'retail' prices. Just compare toms's list for example to KEH, Brooklyn, or B&H
used prices, let alone local shops.

>From the tenor and tone of your posts it sounds like you think there is
>something
wrong with a dealer or individual making a profit. Actually with the prices you
whine about it sounds like you think it is wrong for people to get their money
back out of their gear. I certainly disagree, and I think that the majority of
the list feel the same as I do.

Frankly I am real tired of your whinning posts on prices. If you can find all
these great deals, by all means go buy the stuff. If you can't afford the stuff,
to bad, don't blame us for that. I can't afford a 180 f2.8 even at $265.00 right
now, but that does not mean the price is 'stupid' it just means it is more than
can afford.

I don't have a problem with list members talking about the great deals they got
(lord knows Doris finds enough of em.) I don't have a p[roblem with people
quoting the 'low' end of a range of prices. However the tone of your posts is
frankly childish and insulting. Sounds to me like the gripe of someone who just
plain can't afford the tarriff!

Bottom line is that it sounds like sour grapes to me!

Jim Couch