Re: [OM] Rarest Zuiko lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Rarest Zuiko lens
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:45:42 -0800
Just for kicks, the rarest ever M- / OM-System Zuiko lenses with a
supporting picture is perhaps the M-System prototype of the:

18mm f/3.5 with a 72mm filter thread (no, its not like the current 49mm
model with its step up ring)

Also listed in an M-System Chart, but I'm not sure if they published a
picture anywhere:

90-250mm zoom (maybe an early 85-250mm, but the maximum aperture wasn't
even disclosed)
300mm f/6.3 F.Zuiko with 55mm filter thread
800mm f/9
1200mm f/14
500mm f/5.6
160mm f/3.5 (no, not my typo, but maybe Olympus's)
100mm f/2 (wow, I wonder if they were going to use ED glass at that
early a design stage?)

I venture to guess that marketing had such an uphill climb in 1972, to
prove this was a professional camera system, that they were letting the
cat out of the bag on any design under consideration. Later, non-English
OM System book authors were probably the most responsible for
prematurely letting out prototype designs as if they were production
models.

My favorite OM-System prototype (already discussed in the OM List
archives) is the pancake 50mm f/2 (yes, 50mm), shown as serial number
10001 in the Italian language "Manuale Olympus" by Giulio Forti (1977).
What if . . .

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV