Re: [OM] second body

Subject: Re: [OM] second body
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 22:29:36 -0800 (PST)
> well, if my first body is an OM 1-n MD, what should the second be?

Rich wrote:
This is going to be a fun thread!  Ric, I REALLY like my OM-2S.
Haven't had it long enough to get to know it well as to what all it's
capable of (have read about it), what's its idiosyncracies are (have
read about them), but I love it so far.  In fact, I can't seem to put
it away.  It's right here on the desk next to the computer.  A
beautiful piece of craftsmanship!  It doesn't have the red LED
conversion yet, but that's a minor consideration at this point.

(snip). . . the OM-2S is a great 2nd body for me. Check out the OM-2S.
Hard to beat its features for the price you can obtain one for.
Rich, while the OM-2S is indeed a very nice camera, I couldn't honestly
recommend it as a second body. I'ts likely to let you down just when
you need it most, especially if it gets little use in its role as the
second camera. The 2S might be a feasible choice asa a backup if you
don't put batteries in it until you need to use it, but that's a pain
and you might forget to carry fresh batteries for it. I've found that
batteries that are not fresh don't work for very long in the 2S.

IMHO the OM-2S needs a backup of its own, just because of its erratic
battery life. I use an OM-2n as back-up for my OM-2S, since I feel
confident that the 2n will not let me down if I suddenly need to use
it. In fact, I would bet on the 2n as the best backup body against any
competition, OM-1(n) included - apart from in cold weather, of course,
but I don't get much of that in Indonesia! The 2n is easy to find in
the marketplace and its price tends to be reasonable.

Regards,

=====
Ray