[OM] Re: [OT] Chili

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Chili
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:31:26 +0100
Lex

A manifestation of this strange behaviour can be found in the UK. Indian restaurants satisfy the late-night diner (after the pubs have closed) with artificially hot food made from the same basic stock and dignified with different names to satisfy the slightly tired and emotional diner. It's to make them feel that they are eating the exotic.

In fact, Indian food is not generally very hot, but the spices and herbs are prepared and combined to generate a certain taste. I ate Indian cuisine from a very early age since I was born in Bombay and lived in Madras, Calcutta and Delhi. My wife now cooks a fine set of dishes, and I am not too bad myself... but nothing we cook is particularly hot.

Chris

While hot mustard is a staple of Chinese food, my favorite Szechuan restaurant while I was in college had a ritual that was unsurpassed. When you asked for the hottest sauce the waiter would feign surprise, then bring out a small silver bowl of the potion. He'd dip a tiny spoon - perhaps 1/16th teaspoon in size - and merely wave it over your dish. Then look at you to confirm whether this was satisfactory. The brave and foolish would indicate he should repeat the gesture, and with another, more exaggerated look of shock, the waiter would again wave the spoon over the dish.

Dunno whether this actually did transfer heat to the dish or whether it was a form of hypnosis, but it certainly was effective.

--
~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker