[OM] Re: [OT] Chili

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Chili
From: "Lex Jenkins" <lexjenkins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:47:10
Dirk, I just regard it as a way of stimulating a palate jaded by indifferent food. However my favorite tongue heater isn't any chile, it's hot mustard and horseradish. The sensation rushes through the head and sinuses, then is gone within a minute or so leaving one refreshed and ready to try again.

While hot mustard is a staple of Chinese food, my favorite Szechuan restaurant while I was in college had a ritual that was unsurpassed. When you asked for the hottest sauce the waiter would feign surprise, then bring out a small silver bowl of the potion. He'd dip a tiny spoon - perhaps 1/16th teaspoon in size - and merely wave it over your dish. Then look at you to confirm whether this was satisfactory. The brave and foolish would indicate he should repeat the gesture, and with another, more exaggerated look of shock, the waiter would again wave the spoon over the dish.

Dunno whether this actually did transfer heat to the dish or whether it was a form of hypnosis, but it certainly was effective.

I tend to think of fans of nuclear chiles as the culinary equivalent to the S&M crowd.
Lex Jenkins
"Yeah. Me. Baby. Love. Dig. More. Night. All. You. She. Car. My. Her. Top. Down." - Assemble it yourself rock song

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:12:49 -0500
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I don't understand why people think that eating food should be a painful experience. It is not logical.